Getting an eSIM for your trip is one of the best options you have. This way you will be able to connect to the internet abroad all the time, without having to pay the high price of international roaming.
Before traveling to this wonderful country, full of historic buildings and beautiful places, you have to think about a way to be connected during your trip, to be able to keep in touch with your loved ones, and keep working if you have to.
In this article, you will find all the information you need about the eSIM card for Hungary, how to buy it, where to buy it, and whether your cellphone is compatible with this card or not.
- 1 What is an eSIM?
- 2 Why should I get an eSIM for Hungary?
- 3 Requisites to get an eSIM
- 4 Where can I get an eSIM for Hungary?
- 5 eSIM card for Hungary: compatible cellphones
- 6 Network frequency in Hungary
- 7 Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Hungary
What is an eSIM?
The first thing you need to know is what is this technology. An eSIM is a virtual card that lets you have cellular data while you are out of your country. You won’t have to insert any plastic card into your cellphone because the eSIM installs in the cellphone’s software.
You download it and install the eSIM profile through the internet, with the QR code that the provider sends you on your email. Once you activate it, you can start using it.
Why should I get an eSIM for Hungary?
The eSIM card for Hungary has many advantages that will help you a lot during your vacation. You can read below the different benefits it has:
- An eSIM will work for no more than 30 days, so it will help you if you are traveling on vacation.
- It lets you keep your WhatsApp number.
- Most eSIM cards let you share cellular data with other devices.
- Usually, eSIM cards do not let you make voice calls, but you can still keep in touch with cellular apps like WhatsApp or Skype.
- You won’t have to look for a physical store because you buy your eSIM online.
- If you are rushing, and you need to leave your country soon, this option is perfect for you because you receive your eSIM in a matter of seconds or minutes.
- Your cellphone will become a dual SIM phone. The eSIM card will not occupy a physical space in your phone.
Requisites to get an eSIM
Before you buy an eSIM, there are some requisites you must comply with, and you need to know them before you make the purchase. Read the list below:
- Foremost, you have to make sure your cellphone is eSIM compatible. Keep reading to know it, or ask your seller.
- You need an active email, to receive the activation code and the instructions for the installation.
- You will need a second screen to open the QR code and be able to scan it with your cellphone camera or a scanner app.
- Some operators will ask you to download it through their cellular app, so you will have to make sure you have enough space on your phone to install it.
- You will need a stable internet connection, to make the installation of the eSIM.
Where can I get an eSIM for Hungary?
Nowadays, it is very important to be connected all the time. So, if you are going on a trip, you will need to have an eSIM to avoid paying for international roaming and have mobile data during your trip.
Below are the best ways to get an eSIM card, either from local operators or international.
International eSIM: Holafly eSIM card for Hungary
There are many options to get an international eSIM card, but Holafly is one of the best. It is very simple to get an eSIM card from this company. You only have to enter the web page and pick the destination and data plan you want and that’s it!
When you choose the eSIM card for Hungary and you make the purchase, you will receive, on your email, the QR code for the installation. You will only have to install it and that’s it. Holafly also offers 24-hour customer service and support.
Local eSIM: Magyar Telekom, Vodafone, and Yettel (firstly known as Telenor).
Usually, most people want to get an eSIM to travel to Hungary. But, if you need to stay there for more than 30 days because of work or any another reason, it is better to have a local eSIM. You have to keep in mind that you will need a bank account and a local address to buy the services of the following operators:
- Magyar Telekom: you can use their eSIM on your cellphone, smartwatch, or tablet. They provide connection, and it is one of the best options.
- Vodafone: you can use the Vodafone eSIM if you have an iPhone or Android. You can also sign up for a data plan or a residential plan.
- Yettel: this company was firstly known as Telenor, and it is one of the biggest operators in this country. It has prepaid options, postpaid unlimited data plans, and cellular internet plans.
eSIM card for Hungary: compatible cellphones
You have to know that not all devices are compatible with the eSIM technology. To help you a little, here we give you a list of the eSIM compatible devices. (This list is constantly refreshed):
- iPhone XS, XR onwards
- iPhone SE2 (2020)
- Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+
- Galaxy S20 Ultra onwards
- Samsung GalaxyFold,
- Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 onwards
- Galaxy Note 20 onwards
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip onwards
- Huawei P40
- Huawei P40 Pro and recent
- Huawei Mate 40 Pro and recent
- Google Pixel 3, 3a (not all)
- Google Pixel 4, 4 XL, 4a
- Google Pixel 5 and newer
- Oppo Find X3 Pro
- Oppo Reno 5A
- Motorola Razr (2019 model)
- Motorola Razr 5G (as long as it is a dual SIM phone)
If your cellphone does not appear here, you can contact your seller and ask them directly whether your phone is compatible or not.
Network frequency in Hungary
The network frequency will tell you how fast or slow your connection will be. Here you can see which ones are available in Hungary, including the 5G network.
|3500 MHz||Band 5G|
|1800 – 2600 – 800 – 700 and 3500 MHz||Band 4G|
|2100 – 900 MHz||Band 3G|
|1800 – 900 MHz||Band 2G|
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Hungary
Usually, you only have to scan the QR code that you receive in your email. Then, you will have to select the eSIM as your cellular data medium, and that’s it. In some cases, you have to activate the eSIM through an app, depending on the seller.
They are very similar since they work the same way. One of the main differences is that you don’t have to put it in your cellphone like the SIM card. Also, with the eSIM, you won’t have to pay for international roaming.
Depending on the seller, some data plans expire after 30 days. There are some cases in which you will be able to get an eSIM that lasts a whole year, but those type of eSIMs are not common, and it could be expensive.
The Holafly eSIM card connects to the T-Mobile and Magyar networks, two of the best operators in this country.