If you are going to visit Portugal and any of its beautiful cities, such as Madeira, Lisbon or else, you should take an eSIM card with you to be connected all the time.
The best option to have an eSIM card is to search for the stores that offer this product in their catalog and buy it. Usually, you can buy it online, at any of those virtual stores that offer this type of card.
Here you will learn about local sellers of eSIM cards, and check on the list that you will find here if your cellphone is compatible with this virtual card. Let’s begin!
- 1 What is an eSIM?
- 2 Why should I get an eSIM card for Portugal?
- 3 Requisites to install an eSIM card
- 4 Where can I get an eSIM card for Portugal?
- 5 International eSIM: Holafly eSIM card for Portugal
- 6 eSIM card from local operators: MEO, Vodafone, and NOS
- 7 eSIM compatible cellphones
- 8 Network frequencies in Portugal
- 9 Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Portugal
What is an eSIM?
Visiting a new country is a wonderful experience. Nobody can resist taking pictures or videos. You will be able to show them to your family and friends when you get back to your home country, but… wouldn’t it be spectacular if you can share your pictures with your loved ones immediately, and keep in touch with them? Of course, it is!!
Alright, let us tell you that there is a way to do it, and this is acquiring an eSIM card for travelers. Your physical SIM card might help, but you will have to pay a high price for international roaming if you use it. This is one of the reasons why the eSIM card is your best option.
You might be wondering what is it. It is a virtual SIM card that works without needing to be inserted into your cellphone. Since it is virtual, you don’t have to put any plastic card on your device. To use it, you only have to scan the QR code you receive in your email, activate it, and that’s it!
Why should I get an eSIM card for Portugal?
The eSIM card has become a must-have. If you want to be connected all the time during your trip and to keep in touch with your loved ones, you will need one of these eSIM cards. Some of its advantages are the following:
- High-speed connection in almost the whole country.
- You won’t have to pay for international roaming.
- You can change your network and your number if you’d like, without having to take out your cellphone’s card.
- Furthermore, you keep your WhatsApp number.
- Not only that, but you won’t have to connect to public Wi-Fi networks, something that is not very safe.
- Depending on the seller you choose, you might be able to send texts or receive calls. Anyway, this is something you can do using texts or call apps.
Requisites to install an eSIM card
To have this type of card you have to know some things first. Read the list below to have additional information about it.
- Check that your cellphone is eSIM compatible since not all devices can manage the eSIM technology.
- Make sure your cellphone is unlocked, to use the eSIM card.
- You need an email, to make the purchase and to receive the QR code for the activation of the eSIM card.
- You will need another screen in which you can see the QR code and scan it with your cellphone.
- Likewise, you will have to be connected to the internet to make the activation. You can do this at the airport or some minutes before you travel.
Where can I get an eSIM card for Portugal?
If this is the first time you are going to get a virtual SIM card, you may not know about the options you have to buy the best eSIM card. But don’t worry, that’s why you are here.
We are going to tell you about the best alternatives and the operators that sell eSIM cards in Portugal.
International eSIM: Holafly eSIM card for Portugal
The Holafly eSIM card is one of the best alternatives, that’s why we are going to talk about it first. This is a prepaid SIM card that has coverage in many destinations around the world.
All you have to do to get one of them is: to pick the destination you want, and the data plan you need depending on the number of days you are going to stay there. Then, you fill out the purchase form, pay, and wait for the QR code to arrive at your email. After doing that, you will be able to connect abroad!
eSIM card from local operators: MEO, Vodafone, and NOS
If you don’t want to get your eSIM card online, you can buy one from a local operator. But you have to keep in mind that each of them asks for some requirements. Let’s check them below:
- MEO: the main operator in this country. It offers cellular data, and it has the option to get a fixed-line, home WiFi, and TV. It is perfect if you are planning to live in your destination. Additionally, it offers a data plan for 15 to 30 days.
- Vodafone: the second option. It also offers fixed-line services, cellular data, broadband, TV, and IPTV. In its stores, you can buy a prepaid SIM card, a SIM card for tourists, or a SIM card for cellular data.
- NOS: even though this company is smaller than the previous ones, it has similar services. It offers broadband internet and cellular data with great coverage. It also offers prepaid SIM cards with different data plans, but you can only use this service in Portugal.
eSIM compatible cellphones
Nowadays, any smartphone can use an eSIM card. Anyway, there are some exceptions, and that’s why we are going to give you a detailed list of supported cellphones.
- All newer iPhones
- Samsung’s Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra
- Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL
- Samsung Gear S2 and Gear S3 Smartwatches
- Apple Watch Series 3, 4 and 5
If your cellphone does not appear here, you can ask your seller.
Network frequencies in Portugal
The network frequency in Portugal is the average of those in the other European countries. This refers to the speed of transmission and reception of data that you have from the wireless network to your cellphone. This is why it is so important.
|100 MHz||3.6 MHz band|
|700 MHz and 900 MHz||2.1 GHz and 3,6 GHz band|
|2 x 10 MHz||700 MHz band – all 5G|
|2 x 5 MHz||2100 MHz and 2 x 2 MHz band|
|90 MHz||3.6 GHz band|
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Portugal
No. Not all operators offer this product, you can use the options we mentioned previously.
We recommend you do it before you travel.
Yes, they have an expiration date. Each operator has one.