Having an eSIM for Romania at hand is the best option to stay connected at all times, even more so if you’re going to visit the forests of Transylvania, take a walk through the Carpathian Mountains, and of course, take the iconic photo with Bran Castle in the background, so you can show everyone that you wandered around Dracula’s territory. So exciting!
It’s a bit difficult to walk through those iconic scenes and castles that Romania offers us and have to wait to return to talk about it to your friends and family. So, to share the experience right on the spot, we need an international eSIM card.
In this post, you will be able to know what an eSIM for Romania is about, what it is for, what are the requirements to have this type of chip, where you can buy it, compatible phones, and other details, so that you have all the information.
- 1 What is an eSIM?
- 2 What is an eSIM for Romania for?
- 3 Requirements to install an eSIM for Romania
- 4 Where to get an eSIM to use the cell phone in Romania?
- 5 International eSIM: Holafly travel eSIM for Romania
- 6 Local eSIM: Orange, Telekom, Vodafone, and Digi
- 7 Cell phones compatible with the eSIM for Romania
- 8 Network frequencies in Romania
- 9 FAQ about eSIM in Romania
What is an eSIM?
Let’s define what the eSIM card is. It’s the current and virtual version of the chip that you’ve always been familiar with. This “new” chip is installed in a cell phone, and configured in the operating system, so you won’t have to use a tool to remove the slot or take up physical space in your device.
This electronic card allows you to have an active data plan, with certain benefits and expiration dates that you can use wherever you go without worrying about buying a SIM card and looking for stores to have an eSIM when you land in Romania.
What is an eSIM for Romania for?
An eSIM for Romania is very useful and offers many advantages for travelers who want to explore and share their experiences visiting this beautiful country. Here we will show you what you can do with a virtual data chip.
- You can share the data of your plan with other devices through the Wi-Fi connection of your cell phone.
- It allows you to keep the same WhatsApp number, so you can continue communicating as if you were in your country.
- You reduce the wait because when you buy an eSIM in Romania you will have data available as soon as you activate the card.
- It allows you to have multiple lines with the operators you want and in the country you want.
- You can install different eSIM profiles, with phone numbers and data plans. But you can only use one eSIM at a time.
- Nowadays, there are smartwatches, tablets, and even laptops where you can use this SIM card to connect to the internet while traveling.
- You don’t need to look for a local provider to replace your SIM, but rather, before your trip, you can check the options available for the country you are going to visit and buy with an international provider.
Requirements to install an eSIM for Romania
At this point, surely you are already interested in getting an eSIM for Romania. So, because we want to give you all the information you need, here we’re going to detail the requirements you need to meet:
- The first thing is to verify that your cell phone is unlocked because only in this way can you install an eSIM in it.
- You must make sure that your device is compatible with this technology. You can check this directly with the provider, you are going to use.
- It’s necessary that you have an internet connection when setting up the eSIM profile.
- Depending on the provider you contact, you may have to install an app to manage your eSIM, so check that you can do it in advance.
Where to get an eSIM to use the cell phone in Romania?
Now’s the time. If you have already confirmed the information in the previous section, it’s time to let you know where you can get an eSIM for Romania when you travel.
As international operators and providers are keener and keener to offer this type of service, we are going to give you the most accurate information possible, with the best-recommended options.
International eSIM: Holafly travel eSIM for Romania
If you need an eSIM for Romania, this is the best option you can get today. Yes, Holafly’s eSIM card for travel has multiple advantages that make it the favorite card among travelers.
With Holafly’s eSIM card for Romania, you have several benefits such as choosing between 3, 5, 8, and 10 GB for your trip. Also, you can connect to the internet as soon as you land and activate the eSIM.
On the other hand, you can share the data with your family, friends, or fellow travelers, and you can also use your WhatsApp as if you’ve never left home. And in case you have any questions or problems, they have customer service through chat and email 24 hours a day.
Local eSIM: Orange, Telekom, Vodafone, and Digi
Another option to have an eSIM in Romania or, at least, a cellular internet connection with certain benefits and stability, is through local cellular operators. Here we mention some of them:
- Orange. It offers subscriptions to voice plans, fairly fast internet, and a connection to the 5G network. In addition, you won’t have to pay for the calls you receive or for listening to the messages in your voice mail.
- Telekom. Among their offerings, you can get a fast connection on the 4G network, unlimited internet right after activating the service, and the possibility of connecting from a laptop, tablet, or cell phone.
- Vodafone. Their plans offer up to 60 GB to browse and unlimited minutes nationwide. In addition, for new RED subscriptions, this company provides internet with 5G speed.
- Digi. It’s considered the fastest network in terms of local browsing. It has plans with unlimited calls to all cell phones and landlines in Romania. In addition, all the gigabytes that you don’t use roll over to the following month.
Cell phones compatible with the eSIM for Romania
Also, we can’t ignore the information about cell phones compatible with the eSIM. And we know that this information is essential for you to buy an eSIM for Romania. Check in this list if your cell phone is compatible. You can also check this with the provider directly:
- iPhone XS, XR, and later versions, iPhone SE 2 (2020)
- Samsung Galaxy S20 and later versions, Galaxy Fold and later versions, Galaxy Note 20 and later versions, and Galaxy Z Flip and later versions
- Huawei P40, P40 Pro, Mate 40 Pro, and recent versions
- Google Pixel 3, 3ª, Pixel 4, 4 XL, 4a, 5, and recent versions
- Oppo Find X3 Pro and Oppo Reno 5A
- Motorola Razr (2019) and Razr 5G (dual SIM)
Network frequencies in Romania
The network frequency in Romania is the indicator of how fast or slow the internet connection will be while you are in this country. Here you can see the available frequencies to which your eSIM for Romania will connect, depending on the provider.
|3500 MHz||5G bands|
|2100–1800–2600–900–800 and 2600 MHz||4G bands|
|2100 and 900 MHz||3G bands|
|1800 and 900 MHz||2G bands|
FAQ about eSIM in Romania
The eSIM for Romania connects to the Telekom network, which is one of the main cellular operator in the country.
You will need to activate “Data Roaming”. You have to do this as soon as you land at the destination. Then, you should receive an SMS with the confirmation of the process. If you don’t receive it, check the instructions included in the card.
As soon as you activate the eSIM for Romania. From that moment, the days of use would begin to count down, and the card will expire after this time.
Yes, but this will depend on the cell phone you have. Some cell phones are dual SIM, so you can have a traditional chip and the eSIM with a different phone number.