Are you going on a trip to Japan soon and you need to have Internet at all times there? If you are still reading this, we will tell you about where and how to get the data SIM card for Japan. With this mobile device, your adventure in Japan will be much better.
If you are going to visit Japanese cities like Tokyo, Yokohama, and Kyoto among many others, you will certainly need the internet to do many things on your itinerary. For this and more, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about the best SIM card to use in Japan. Join us!
- 1 Where can I buy a SIM card for Japan?
- 2 Get your SIM card before you start your trip
- 3 The Holafly online shop
- 4 Buying your SIM card when you land in Japan
- 5 What is the price of a SIM card for Japan?
- 6 Holafly’s eSIM for Japan: the new way to get the mobile internet
- 7 How much does the eSIM for Japan cost?
- 8 Frequently asked questions about the SIM card for Japan
Where can I buy a SIM card for Japan?
There are different ways in which you can get a SIM card at the moment you arrive in Japan. Currently, there are two main and common ways to get this mobile data device for your phone:
- Nowadays you can find a lot of online shops where you can find a lot of services. And this is an option for buying a SIM card for Japan. Holafly is a common online shop that offers this service. We’ll tell you about it later.
- Another way of getting a SIM card for Japan is when you arrive at the airport of this country. You can buy them in physical shops of local operators, which you will find located in the airports.
On the other hand, the best thing you can do as a traveler who is staying a few days or weeks in Japan is to purchase this SIM card before you leave your home country. We’ll tell you why below.
Get your SIM card before you start your trip
If you want to follow the above advice, then we are going to explain why it would be good to buy your Japan SIM card before you leave:
- A very good reason is that on the internet, you can find several online shops offering for Japan. You will have a range of alternatives, with different prices and features to choose from.
- Save time in the planning and development of your trip. You will arrive in Japan without having to look for a place where they sell you prepaid SIM cards.
Based on the above, one of those online shops where you can get a SIM card to use in Japan is the Holafly online shop. I will now tell you about this great alternative.
The Holafly online shop
First of all, you should know that Holafly is an online shop specializing in selling international SIM cards (physical and virtual). In that sense, the SIM card for Japan sold in Holafly’s online shop will cover the need to have internet in this country during the whole trip. Check out its advantages:
- It is covered by Softbank, one of the best mobile phone providers in Japan.
- You can choose between a 7-day SIM card with 1.5GB or an unlimited data SIM.
- Holafly offers 24-hour support and attention (via chat in the online shop). In addition, you can also be assisted by WhatsApp and email in different languages.
- Keep your WhatsApp number in English, so you can continue to use this app.
- With this SIM card, it is possible to share mobile data with more devices.
- Easy to follow instructions for installation and activation; no hassle or many steps.
Buying your SIM card when you land in Japan
This option will allow you to compare and analyze the prices and advantages of different operators from Japan. A lot of travelers like to take this option. But the reality is that it will take a lot of your time. Because it involves purchasing the SIM card chip for Japan at the airport of arrival.
Once you are at the airport in Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, or any other Japanese city, locate the physical shops of the most common local mobile companies, and these are NTT Docomo and Softbank.
NTT Docomo branch in Japan
The Japan SIM card offered by NTT Docomo is characterized by the following features:
- Exclusive plans for devices that support 5G networks.
- No long-term contract.
- Data allowance from 1G to 7 GB.
- Telephone support for users.
Softbank Shop in Japan
When you are at the Japanese airport you will most likely see a Softbank operator shop. Their prepaid chip is characterized by this:
- Unlimited SMS to send throughout Japan.
- You can share data with more phones.
- It connects to 4G LTE networks and even 5G in some cases.
- There is a permanence clause to acquire this chip.
Knowing the features of Japanese operator chips will help you decide whether it is worth buying your Japan SIM card chip when you arrive at the airport, or if it is better to opt for more alternatives.
What is the price of a SIM card for Japan?
In the case of Holafly’s online shop, the Japan SIM card currently has five data variants, and these are their features and current prices:
|Days of use||Amount of mobile data||Price (USD)|
|8 days||Unlimited data||$37,08 USD|
|15 days||Unlimited data||$47,98 USD|
|20 days||Unlimited data||$75,24 USD|
|30 days||Unlimited data||$80,70 USD|
Holafly’s eSIM for Japan: the new way to get the mobile internet
If you need a faster option for your trip an eSIM could be a good option for you. It is a device that is embedded in the hardware of the mobile phone. It is configured using a QR code that you could scan through your phone. Holafly, for example, has an eSIM for this Asian destination, and many other countries around the world.
For this reason, we advise you to buy the Holafly eSIM for Japan, because you can make this purchase from anywhere and at any time through the online shop. Below, we will show you the main advantages of this virtual chip.
Advantages of the Holafly eSIM for use in Japan
If you choose the Holafly eSIM or virtual chip for Japan, this device will bring you multiple advantages and an incredible user experience. We detail its features now:
- There are no registrations or subscriptions to purchase this eSIM.
- You keep your WhatsApp number without any problem.
- High-speed connections in cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.
- Purchase and receive the QR code instantly, via email.
- Mobile data sharing is possible with this data eSIM.
- You can use your physical chip and eSIM at the same time.
How much does the eSIM for Japan cost?
In the case of Holafly, to purchase their eSIM for Japan you need to consider their different mobile data variants, with different prices. Here are the current options:
|Days of use||Amount of mobile data||Price (USD)|
|12 days||6GB||$37 USD|
|30 days||8GB||$47 USD|
Frequently asked questions about the SIM card for Japan
Because it is the best way to have the internet at all times during your trip. This way you don’t have to search for free WiFi networks or pay high international roaming charges.
There are several ways: WiFi networks, international roaming, or with a SIM card. We recommend the latter option because your mobile data will be with you whenever and wherever you go in Japan.
It depends on each operator, however, with Holafly you get 24-hour support via chat in the online shop. In addition, there is assistance via WhatsApp and email.
Finally, here are some other countries in the world where you can take a data SIM card: