There are many reasons that you may have to travel to Puerto Rico. Its beautiful beaches and landscapes are reasons enough to visit, and something that you cannot forget to consider is to stay connected to the internet, and in contact with friend and family throughout your trip. If you are not certain how to get an international SIM Card during your adventure, here, we will explain it and give you a couple of alternatives to consider.
Many people are not familiar with these international SIM cards. However, we bring you the good news that it is straightforward to get and use one. Besides having more than one way to buy them, we will give you all the information that any traveler would like to have before your trip and the secret to never stop being connected!
Where can I buy a SIM card for Puerto Rico?
As we told you above, there are several ways to buy your international SIM Cards, although two methods have become the most popular and used. The decision of which method to use will often depend on what you need; below we will talk about how you can buy your SIM Cards for Puerto Rico.
- The method that has become the most popular among travelers recently has been to buy your SIM Card through online stores; as with other types of purchases we know this option allows you to do it from the comfort of your home and even before embarking on your trip.
- The second option we will talk about is to buy your SIM Card in the physical stores of your destination country, for this you would have to know which operators work there and locate in which branch would be convenient to get one.
In general, these would be the most convenient options to buy this service, we will be looking deeper in depth into both methods during this article, so stay tuned to what we have to tell you!
Get your SIM card before you start your trip
Just as you do not wait to arrive at your travel destination to pack your bags, you should not wait to arrive in Puerto Rico to buy your international SIM Cards. For many travelers buying them before traveling is the first option, largely because of how easy this process is and the great advantages that come with it, of the most important to consider we have:
- From the first moment you start your trip you don’t have to worry about staying connected and in contact; you can have your SIM cards and access the International internet as soon as you arrive.
- Finding stores and locations in a country you don’t know can be challenging, having your SIM Card before you travel will allow you to have access to all the information you need before you need it!
- The key word is time, you will have more time to enjoy your trip if you have your SIM Card before arriving in Puerto Rico, you will have more time to choose your plan and service, and you will be able to do it from your home instead of going out in person.
Get to know Holafly’s online store
Among the companies that offer international SIM Card services, Holafly is one of the most popular and reliable options. From its online store, you can buy your SIM Card before traveling and thus be connected as soon as you arrive at your destination. Holafly has coverage in over 200 countries and offers up-to-date technologies such as international eSIM Card and benefits such as:
- When you buy your SIM Card, you will not have to worry about shipping. This will be free and would be delivered within 72 hours.
- These SIM Cards also work in other destinations in Central America and Latin America.
- You will be able to keep your WhatsApp number you used in your country.
- You have access to Holafly’s customer service through all its communication channels, and you can opt for the service in your language.
- The card includes a number from which you can make calls and send messages in your destination country.
- You can choose the plan and service that fits your trip and needs, and you will also have the possibility to share data when using Holafly SIM cards.
- You can use Holafly SIM Cards together with the SIM Card you had at your location.
Buy your SIM Card when you land in Puerto Rico.
Even if you do not consider buying your international SIM cards through an online store, you could get them through the physical stores of local Puerto Rican operators or wherever you’re travelling to, of course, this involves waiting to land to locate a nearby store and buy one. Companies like Claro or T-Mobile are the most established providers in the country.
Once in the store, the process will be no different from any other purchase you make. However, generally, these operators are more adjusted to local consumers of service than to travelers or tourists, so their plans are meant for customers retention rather than to offer a temporary alternative according to your stay.
Claro’s physical store in Puerto Rico
One of the most consolidated companies in Latin American countries is Claro. In Puerto Rico, it is the operator with more local customers, and as we mentioned before, focused on that same audience. They offer prepaid data plans, and their plans usually include SMS and MMS.
- Being the operator with more customers offers greater coverage and stability within Puerto Rico and other Central American countries.
- Due to its proximity to the USA, its plans usually offer long-distance minutes to that country.
- They offer customer service through different channels. However, this represents an additional charge at the time of purchasing your plan.
- Offers roaming plans for interested travelers during their stay.
T-Mobile Branch in Puerto Rico
This is another company that operates in the country, with more popularity in the USA but T-Mobile has also managed to find a market in Puerto Rico offering its local and foreign customers’ data plans and internet service in addition to advantages such as:
- Access to unlimited calls and texts only domestically.
- Offers 4G speed coverage within the first GB of consumption.
- You can opt in to receive calls from another country for an additional fee.
- They also offer customer care services to all their local or foreign customers.
What is the price of a SIM Card for Puerto Rico?
If after learning about Holafly, you have been attracted by its services, then here are the detailed data plans that you can choose for your SIM card, along with the prices.
|Days of use||Amount of cellular data||Price (USD)|
|30 days||8 GB||$34|
|30 days||12 GB||$44|
Holafly’s eSIM for Puerto Rico: a new way to stay connected
We have told you a lot about international SIM Cards but we want to take the opportunity to introduce you to what would be the evolution of this technology, the eSIM Card which is becoming the first choice for travelers and everyone else. The eSIM Card is a fully digital version of the SIM Card which brings with it remarkable improvements in addition to maintaining the benefits that the physical SIM already had.
If you have checked that your phone is compatible with the eSIM Card for Puerto Rico, you must be wondering how to get them. In this case, online stores like Holafly online store take even more value because the purchase, configuration, and use of the eSIM Card can take a few minutes, and without the need to move from your home, this revolution is here to stay for all the benefits it brings with it.
What are the advantages of Holafly’s eSIM for Puerto Rico?
With the purchase of Holafly’s eSIM Card, you will have the opportunity to enjoy some benefits and advantages, some of the most important are:
- The process of purchasing, configuring, and starting to use the eSIM is extremely fast and simple. Everything is done remotely and as it does not require physical installation you will not have to wait for the delivery of any physical card.
- You will have guaranteed coverage with the local operators in your destination country, so you will enjoy their high connection speed and stability.
- You will always have Holafly’s 24/7 customer service available through all its communication channels.
- Not only that, but you can use your eSIM Card and SIM Card simultaneously on your cellphone.
- This will not affect the use of your WhatsApp number. You will be able to keep your old number.
- There is only a data plan inside the eSIM Card for Puerto Rico. However, due to its price, it is attractive for travelers.
- You can share data to other people even with the use of the Holafly eSIM Card.
How much does the eSIM for Puerto Rico cost?
Finally, here is a table with the different data plans offered by Holafly’s eSIM for Puerto Rico, along with the prices of each plan:
|Days of use||Amount of cellular data||Price (USD)|
|15 days||6 GB||$44|
Frequently asked questions about the SIM card for Puerto Rico
There are several ways: WiFi networks, international roaming, or with a SIM card. We recommend the latter option because your cellular data will be with you everywhere you go in Puerto Rico.
It will depend on the provider the traveler is using, some companies allow tourists to share cellular data, while others don’t, so that’s something people need to check for beforehand and keep in mind.
No. People can buy as many SIM cards as they need when traveling worldwide.
Yes. In this case, people can buy both a SIM and eSIM card for Puerto Rico and use them while traveling.